Mother Tongue

10:38:00


I am someone who has always loved language. I spent a great deal of time thinking about the way it can evoke an emotion, a visual image, a complex idea or a simple truth. Language is the tool of my trade. And I use them all – all the Englishes I grew up with.

            One day, I was giving a talk to a large group of people about my writing, my life and my book, The Joy Luck Club. The talk was going along well until I remembered one major difference that made the whole talk sound wrong. My mother was in the room and it was perhaps the first time she had heard me give a speech. I was saying things literary people tend to say, things like, “The intersection of memory upon imagination…” and “There is an aspect of my fiction that relates thus-and-thus”. It was a speech wrought with grammatical phrases, burdened, it seemed to me, with complex forms of standard English that I have learned in school, forms of English I did not use at home with my mother.

            One day I was walking down the street with her and we were talking about the price of new and used furniture. I heard myself saying, “Not waste money that way.” It was a different sort of English, “family talk,” the language I grew up with. You should know that my mother’s command of spoken English belies how much she actually understands. She reads Forbes magazine, watches “Wall Street Week,” converses daily with her stockbroker – and grasp all kinds of things I cannot begin to understand.

            Yet some of my friends tell me they understand only 50% of what my mother says. Some say they understand 80 to 90%. Some say they understand none of it, as if she were speaking pure Chinese. But to me, my mother’s English is perfectly clear, perfectly natural.

            Her language, as I hear it, is vivid, direct, full of observation and imagery. That was the language that helped shape the way I saw things, expressed things, made sense of the world. I have described the kind of English my mother speaks as “broken” or “fractured.” But I wince when I say that.

            It has always bothered me that I can think of no way to describe it other than “broken,” as if it were damaged and needed to be fixed, as if it lacked a certain wholeness and soundness. It limits people’s perception of the speaker. I know this because when I was growing up, I believed that my mother’s English reflected the quality of what she had to say. That is, because she expressed them imperfectly, I considered her thoughts imperfect. And I had plenty of evidence to support me: the fact that people in departmental stores, at banks, at restaurants did not take her seriously, did not give her good service, pretended not to understand her, or even acted as if they did not hear her.

            My mother has long realised her limitations in English as well. And she wanted things to be different for us. When I was growing up, Readers’ Digest was the only magazine that my parents subscribed to because it contained “Word Power.” That elevated Readers’ Digest from entertainment to education. With polysyllabic “Word Power” as our passport, our family had access to better opportunities. We – our parent’s children – could win approval and rise like balloons above the masses.

            I think my mother’s English almost had an effect on my choice of career. The language speaking in the family, especially in immigrant families, which are more insular, plays a large role in shaping the language of the child. While my English skills were never judged as poor, compared to mathematics they could not be considered my strong suit. In primary school, I did moderately well in English but those grades were not good enough to override the opinion that my true abilities were in mathematics and science. And I had teachers who tried to steer me away from writing and into mathematics an science. Fortunately, I happen to be rebellious in nature and enjoy dispelling the assumptions made about me. I became an English major my first year at university. I started writing non-fiction freelance the week after I was told by my boss that writing was my worst skill and that I should think about accounts management.

            However, I later decided to envision a reader for my short stories, and I decided on my mother. So, because of this, I began to write using all the Englishes I grew up with: the English I spoke to my mother, which may be termed “simple”, or “broken”; my translation of her Chinese and what I imagined to be her translation of her Chinese if she could speak in perfect English. Apart from what any critic had to say about my work I knew that I had succeeded where it counted when my mother finished reading my book and gave me her verdict: “So easy to read.”


(Adapted from Mother Tongue by Amy Tan)


Amy Tan and her mother

You Might Also Like

0 comments

浏览

最佳文章

What's going on?

Stories. Memories. Experiences.
Occasional rants.
Sometimes just to brush up my Mandarin.

A medical doctor. Coffee lover.
Having interests in so many things that I can tell what I actually like. Does that make me a hobby hopper?

Expect posts when I have knack for writing. Or if I'm dying, and trying to leave a legacy. Spending too much time on Netflix.